Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Featuring Author LR Hatfield

A Little About My Past

I live and grew up in Kansas. I had grandparents who farmed and grandparents who owned a grocery store and gas station. Both of my parents worked full time, so I spent a lot time with my grandparents. I am very lucky at my age to still have one grandma living. She still drives and lives at home.

My Grandma and Grandpa Spencer, my uncle, my cousin Tricia, and my dad all played instruments. They played Blue Grass. Tricia and her husband have a Blue Grass Band that is really taking off. Very proud of her. I loved to listen to them play growing up. Especially when my uncle would add in his banjo. I tried to learn to play. I'm a better listener to music, then playing music.

After high school, I went to school, thinking I would be a nurse. I received my Nurse Aide and Medication Aide certifications and began working in nursing homes and with the mentally ill. I quickly discovered, this work was not for me, so back to school I went. I obtained my Account Clerk certification. After obtaining that certification, I have worked in customer service, as a receptionist, and back to the medical field in mental health, medical records, and finally Medicaid. As you can see I can't get away from the medical field.

I love helping others. I think that is why the medical field has always called me back. I know I wasn't cut out to be a nurse, but I figured out I can help the elderly in other ways. After working for the state for 11 years, I left to go to work for a non-profit organization serving the elderly. Currently, I assist the elderly with Medicaid applications. Plus I work with a great bunch of people who make the job fun. Two ladies specifically that hold a special place in my heart. One is a social worker and the other is an RN. They bring me work (Seriously, I love them to death!)

I do have three children that are my lifeline. After having my oldest who is now 14, that is when I decided to go to college and get my degree in Business Management. While going to college, I worked full time and volunteered with the Independent Living Program, assisting young adults exiting foster care into their adult lives. You would think that I would be there to assist and teach them, in reality, those girls taught me a few things about life. They also helped me to discover what I really want to do in life, which is to write and help others. As if I haven't changed my mind enough in life.

My two little ones, keep me on my toes. In August my youngest, will start Kindergarten. Time has definitely flown by. Being a mom is the best job ever for me. I love to watch their imaginations. As I'm writing this, I'm watching my daughter pretend to blow up balloons for a pretend birthday party. This makes me smile.

What Inspired Me to Start Writing

I wrote my first book in 2011 and my Independent Living girls inspired me to write, Adrian Born Under a Falling Star. I just left it on my computer. A friend read my book and said I should get it edited and publish it. I ignored her.

In 2012 when my Grandma Smith's health took a turn for the worse, I decided it was time. This friend of mine and I edited for a few weeks. I thought I was done, then realized I needed a cover. I had no clue what to do for a cover. Thankfully I had another cousin who did photography and she photo shopped a picture of my daughter and made the cover.

I was able to get my first book published a few weeks before my grandma passed away. A week or so before she passed I had started my second book in the series. Gina, Luke, and Mark Secrets Behind the Glitter and Gloss. I found a photo album in my grandma's closet that was perfect for the cover. I snapped a picture on a doily she made and took a chance on the cover. I have to admit, for amateur, I was proud of it. I finished writing that book the week she passed away.

After writing these two books, I kept going. I am now working on my seventh book, Wheat Murders. I am very excited for this book to be released.

What Am I Passionate About?

As I have said, I am passionate about helping others. My ultimate goal, is to donate 10% of my proceeds from my books to organizations. It brings me joy to know that I could have helped someone achieve a dream or put a smile on their face.

Links

Adrian Born Under a Falling Star http://www.amazon.com/Adrian-Under-Falling-Wells-Family-ebook/dp/B008KS9O1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421804568&sr=8-1&keywords=adrian+born+under+a+falling+star

Gina, Luke and Mark, Secrets Behind the Glitter and Gloss http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Behind-Glitter-Gloss-Family-ebook/dp/B009NN6216/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421804702&sr=8-1&keywords=Gina+Luke+and+Mark+Secrets+Behind+the+Glitter+and+Gloss

Carrie Never Free http://www.amazon.com/Carrie-Never-Free-LR-Hatfield-ebook/dp/B00B95YNJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421804752&sr=8-1&keywords=Carrie+Never+Free

Dina Unfolding it All http://www.amazon.com/Dina-Unfolding-Wells-Family-Book-ebook/dp/B00C8EURB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421804811&sr=8-1&keywords=Dina+Unfolding+it+all

Underground http://www.amazon.com/Underground-LR-Hatfield-ebook/dp/B00DV32DPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421804849&sr=8-1&keywords=Underground%2FLr+Hatfield

Diamond Murders http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Murders-LR-Hatfield-ebook/dp/B00M8CAN1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421804887&sr=8-1&keywords=Diamond+Murders

Twitter @lrhatfield
Facebook LR Hatfield (Friend requests)
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/adrianbornunderafallingstar?ref=bookmarks
Googleplus LR Hatfield
http://indieeblasts.blogspot.com
https://passionateorganizations.blogspot.com

Pictures






6 comments:

  1. You write beautiful Lisa! I love your journey and the special memories that you have with your grandparents; ) I do too! It makes my heart sing reading your beautiful story to remind me of mine; ) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have written one story on indie eblasts about my grandparents. They played such a role in my life. My grandma was the backbone of our family. Miss her a lot! I plan to keep sharing stories about them. It is sort of a healing process for me.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post! Being a mom is the best job ever - I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post very much Lisa. What a journey! A wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete