Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Featuring Jason Petty, All Around Indie Artist

I had the pleasure of meeting Jason a few years ago when he was doing a book signing outside of a restaurant. I spoke with him about self-publishing because I had heard the worst of the worst stories. He eased my fears. Recently we reconnected at a local book signing and sat beside each other. I loved how he played his guitar to draw people in. He is very creative. Below is Jason's story.
Who I am

I'm not good at biographies. I hate writing them, least ways I hate writing autobiographies. It feels so…braggy. So instead, let me tell you about my house and let you decide what kind of person might live there.

I live in a house with that was built in 1970, right before it got impossible to find actual good lumber. It's built sturdy and strong with real wood floors, wood siding, and full wood walls under that. Not just siding stapled to foam insulation, but actual 1/4" thick wood. It's a stout ol' sucker, surrounded by a wrap-around porch and big yard full of big trees.

Walk in the front door and the first thing you'll see is a piano I bought for $20 at a garage sale a few years ago. I'm still learning how to play it, but what little I know, I learned by ear or made-up myself. You might have to move a pair of jeans or a shirt or jacket out of the way, but you're welcome to play it, or try your luck. You can't be worse than me.

Hanging on the wall next to it, is a nickel plated resonator guitar. Most people think its chrome and for all intents and purposes, it is. My wife got it for me as an anniversary present and I love it. It's an attention, whore's dream come true and I play it very, very well. Everything from sultry blues to wild surf comes out of that thing when we're together. I play it most every day.   

You go up the stairs and you'll find my den. It's my place to escape the world. It has an old TV with an xbox hooked up to it, surrounded by, well, 1984. Lava lamps, old chairs, 80's and 90's magazines, a good six-string 'lectric guitar (my first love) and a near–matching bass, are the likely the first things you'll spot. Look to your left and you'll find an alarm clock/radio with a flip wheel display instead of a digital read-out on top of a 60's record cabinet/player combo, usually with either rockabilly or 80's metal on the turntable.

On the walls throughout the house you'll find 50's style pin-ups, posters of hot rods, muscle cars, super heroes and penguins along with pictures of family and friends and little flamingos. Flamingos are a thing for me and my wife. We have several yard flamingos for the various seasons, including "spooky" black ones for Halloween. You can look at the various pictures for hours while tripping over my kid's toys and the cat. My desk in the storage room across the landing, from the den is covered in note books,  dead pens, model cars, and surrounded by cork board, covered in endless notes and little cartoons I've drawn mocking various circumstances in my life.

You open the wrong door and find the laundry room, which is full to bursting with baskets and hampers of dirty and clean clothes. You're not allowed in the bedroom, so skip that door. The guest bathroom has a deep tub, but beware of the toile, it wobbles, so try not to lean toward the sink.

Back down the hall you get to the kitchen, which is decorated like it's 1954 with teal walls and white cabinets. You look out the window and you'll see an early 2000's Pontiac parked atop a blanket of fallen yellow leaves in front of a garage that houses a bunch of junk, a 68 VW Beetle and my highschool sweet heart, a 1996 Ford Bronco.

In the garage you'll also find three different types of sleds for various winter conditions: saucers for powdery snow, cheap plastic canoe/toboggan thingies for slush, and my prized possession, a five-and-half foot steel runner sled for hard ice. It the winter you'll find them all in the bed of a Dodge Ram with my family and assorted hangers-on in the bed out in search of steep hills and high speeds. As a bragging point, the runner sled has been clocked at over 40mph with me on it on a moonless winter night. I like a bit of a rush now and again.

            Hanging in the garage you'll also find more posters of old cars, a few curvy and tastefully photographed women, as well as some targets with very small groupings in their centers. You'll also find shelves full of neat, scripted badging and trim pieces from a few favorite car makers. If the walls could talk they'd recount many a cussing-out, a few arguments and lots and lots and lots of laughter.

            So that's where the place I call home. Make of it what you will. Hope you enjoyed the tour. Now move your car from the drive loop: dad's coming over and I want his old Galaxie500 there when he pulls up. I spent three hours waxing it and I want it in the sun when he pulls up!


My work

            I do a lot of things to keep the lights shining and the plates dirty. All of them spring from the same thing at my core: a love of story telling. My acting, my photography, my cosplays, and my songs are all story driven. It comes out most blatantly in my writing. The Vampire of Meadow Lake is a good example of many of my favorite themes in writing.

At its core, The Vampire of Meadow Lake is about a haunting and cautionary tale of a young woman's murder and her best friend's efforts to avenge her death instead of facing the fact that she's gone. I wanted people to feel what Jenny was feeling, to get swept into her shriveled, black, little raisin of a heart and at least see why she became the way she did, even if they hated her for it. I wanted her to be as real and honest to the reader as she is to me. I succeeded. Some people love her, others just flat hate her. She's like I wanted her: a polarizing force! You understand her, but you likely don't approve of her lifestyle.

            Same thing goes for her boyfriend, John. He's a just your standard country boy. You meet a lot of guys like him around here; wiry youths with poofy hair, genuine smiles and big trucks. He's a humble sort of guy, but that makes him an anomaly among his friends. The more you get to know him the more you start to understand how he's not much better off inside than the young woman he's shelved his life to protect and help.

            The thing is someone killed Amy and everyone's a suspect. Someone sold her out, someone pulled the trigger and someone's going to find them and make them pay with blood, or else get killed just like her.

            All hell breaks loose when Jenny's trap for the killer back fires and she ends up kidnapped. John comes close to panic as skeletons start falling out of closets all over town. He knows he has to act fast if he's to save her. With nothing but gut instinct and scary half-facets to go on, he knows the odds aren't in his favor. So sets out with his crossbow, his father's .45 to either write the last chapter in a urban legend or become an other bloody page in an ever thickening volume.

             I wish I'd written that for the back cover, now that I think about it.

             I'm quite proud of this book for many reasons. I didn't have much help with it. The only thing I didn't do was edit it, and that was done by a good friend of mine. Everything else—the formatting, the cover, the advertising, finding reviewers—has been done by myself to this point.

            In addition to writing, I do pin-up and adventure photography as well as illustrations and art. My media of choice is pencil, pen and marker, as you can see below. There is more art to see at the links below.

I am a panelist and presenter at conventions, and I will be presenting my panel "Vampire History: from Nightmares to Daydreams" at Tulsa Comicon.

I'm working on a post apocalyptic graphic novel, as well. Maybe someday I'll finish it! 
        
           As a side note, I'm searching for camera people and actors for a side project making short paranormal films. Contact me via facebook or Gmail at Authorjmp@gmail.com for more information if you are in the NE Kansas area and serious interested in collaborating.


Links

https://www.facebook.com/JasonPettyPhotography?ref=bookmarks

No comments:

Post a Comment