Friday, March 28, 2014

Featuring Sheron Pearson

I'm passionate about causes that prick my conscience or my heart.  Anything to do with kids, mental health, women or just those underdog stories are guaranteed to make me open my big mouth and jump in with both feet - sometimes without thinking how I'm going to fulfill my lofty promises.
 
Looking back over my life, I've always had this caring and sharing spirit, I firmly believe a blessing is not a blessing until it is shared.  That may not be PC - but that is a major tenet I live by.
 
I've worked with Jamaican group FURI (Family Reunification and Resettlement Initiative) in Jamaica who work with those who have been deported to Jamaica.  After having the founder on my internet radio program (The Conduit Show) www.e2onair.com -  I was able to use that platform and the kind donations of friends and family to source ten used computers to establish a computer lab which is in use and helps those repatriated residents to stay in touch with their family members.
 
The current project and the one which currently holds my heart came about after reading about a school in rural Kingston - Padmore Primary School.  The story touched me and although they have a virtual smorgasboard of things they desperately need, I spoke with the Principal- Keisha Hayle a wonderful woman who has depleted her own savings to bring her school up to par and turn it around from one earmarked for closure to one where the kids are selected or a national quiz challenge!
 
So far, we have been purchased a stove for the school and are in the process of purchasing a new 'fridge for the kitchen.(using the wonderful doation platform "Go Fund Me").   I plan to continue working with Padmore, my next project will be to refurbish the playground which is in a deplorable state and also increase the W.C. facilties as more and more children attend.
 
Even though this school falls under the control of the Government of Jamaica, this is just one of many schools where resources are scant and will not be increased unless citizenry take an active role. 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment