Sunday, September 7, 2014

Featuring Minoti Vaishnav

I'm the Founder and Executive Director of Prophecy Girl Films, and am a screenwriter, a musician and songwriter. I have two albums out – The Fictional Truth (2010) and Secret Garden (2013). Both albums were self-produced, written and released. In spite of not being signed to a label, the music video for the first single “So Will You” went viral with over 100,000 views. My songs have played on radio stations around the world.
On the film and television front,  I started writing my first sitcom at age 14. At age 18, I studied the craft of writing for film under Academy Award® nominee Tom Abrams. A few years later, I graduated with a degree in Screenwriting at California State University Northridge. I then went on to work in different aspects of film, including outreach on the Emmy® nominated HBO documentary American Winter, composing music and coordinating outreach for the documentary film Let Them Eat Cake, and event production for the International Documentary Association where I received my first writers assistant credit for the 28th Annual IDA Documentary Awards. Recently, my screenplays have been selected at The Beverly Hills Film Festival and the Creative World Awards.  
I have also ghost-written a Vampire script that went into production in 2013, and wrote and produced a short film called 
R.I.P. Last year I was selected to write and direct a pilot for Phillip Kim Marra's show 3 Orbs of Light. The series pilot, starring Rachel Bailit (Festival In CannesSugar Happens), Cali T. Rossen (Along Came PollyStill Alice), Corinne LeClaire (My Mother's Hairdo), and Robert Weiner (The Dinner, Off Leash) is currently in post-production. Working on the show not only gave a voice to my writing, but also taught me a lot about being a showrunner and co-executive producing a show. I am also currently producing a documentary mini-series called Being Independent.
 
I support film related non-profits like the Alliance for Women in Media and the International Documentary Association. AWM supports the hiring of more women in media, and fosters career development for women interested in pursuing a career in media. The IDA supports the documentary filmmaking community with fiscal sponsorship, events and educational programs. I also support anyone trying to be an independent artist and make it on their own because they're actually out there pursuing their dream and putting in the heard work it takes to make it. 
The reason I support these entertainment based organizations is because i
n the arts - be it music, writing, or film - most major
opportunities are only available to the privileged, and nepotism is widely prevalent. The organizations I support independent talent and nurture those who want to learn their crafts and break into the industry even if they don't know anyone in the business. 
 
I'm currently funding a Kickstarter campaign to help get more on my scripts into festivals. Getting into festivals is a crucial step as a writer, and I'm hoping people will support me as an independent artist just like I support them! The link to my Kickstarter ishttps://www.kickstarter.com/projects/minoti/the-screenplay-festival-submission-project
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment