Monday, September 1, 2014

Does Loyalty Count When a Major Claim is Filed


 

This blog is slightly different than others I have posted in the past, but I think this needs to be addressed. This blog will show how unpassionate insurance companies can be.

Imagine sitting in your home and feeling safe. A home you built for your family. A home in which the walls protect your family and then tragedy strikes and it is all taken from you.

I have a friend, which I will not name in this blog, but he and his family lost everything in a home fire that started from a bad compressor in their refrigerator. Most of his family was able to leave the home safely. Unfortunately they lost one family member, their lab.

My friend is someone I have known since high school. He has turned into an exceptional man. He is a fireman and an EMT. Daily he puts his life on the line. He is a true hero. The type of person I want my kids to look up to.

The reason for this blog is to raise awareness of what an insurance company is capable of doing. This family, not just he and his wife, his whole family have used this insurance company for years. They have, just within their family more than paid for his house ten times over in at least car insurance and home owner’s premiums. This family is starting to rebuild their lives and their home. Happiness is in the air, a new start. Then the letter comes, their insurance company is dropping them because of the claim they filed when they lost their home to a fire.

Now this fire was started because of a faulty appliance. This was completely unexpected. I want to raise awareness, that I don’t feel this is right for an insurance company to drop a paying customer because of a claim. I had to agree when his brother said, “Bet they didn’t have a problem cashing your checks.”  I bet they didn’t.

Insurance is supposed to be there in case of accidents. With all of the disasters that are happening in this world, that are beyond an individual’s control, is this the norm? Do you feel it’s right for an insurance company to drop a customer after filing a claim? Isn’t that the purpose of paying for insurance?

Personally, I feel if this happens to you or someone you know, call your insurance commissioner. Fight for what you pay for. The more people who stand up against companies like this, the more likely change is to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment